Skip to main content

Christmas Ornaments


I was on Pinterest a few months ago and came across this really cool crochet edging for a blanket.  Being close to Christmas I immediately thought - wow - would that work as a garland for my tree?
You can check out  my inspiration here.

It didn't take much to turn the stitches from a beautiful edging to this cheerful garland.  The whole garland is something like 6 metres long - I used a whole 100g ball of red el cheapo acrylic yarn.  I really love it and glad I made it!




So a week before Christmas all the decorations go on sale in the shops here...  I bought this tiny tree for 1 whole euro! I also picked up some cheap little baubles.. not perfect in size but good enough.  I consider this new tree a work in progress!  And so I couldn't resist crocheting a garland for this little cutie too!
This time I used some green cotton yarn - being a novice crocheter I've no idea what the proper name is - just that standard thin crochet cotton...  My husband thinks I'm officially mad.. but it finishes off my tree beautifully.  
I must just add, that I took these pics as I was putting the decs away, so they're not great and just a bit of an afterthought!  Don't you love my little lights??  OK. I'll stop now!






 Here are some decorations I made as a gift for a friend.. I love the way they turned out.  I've had these on my "to do" list for about 2 years now!  Pattern here.  They are super simple to make but so effective!



Last but  not least.. these are the Christmas decorations I made for my daughters this year.  Every year I try and make one decoration each so that when they leave home and have their own Christmas trees they can have a Christmas decoration from every year of their childhood hanging on their tree...
I usually make the decorations out of felt but I thought I'd try some crochet decorations for a change...
I'm happy with them.. perhaps not the star on the top but the buttons are sweet.  If you want to have a go and make some of these for yourself, here is the pattern.



So there is a round up of the decorations I made this Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

I Channeled My Granny!

Yesterday the girls were off sick with a cold, and I can't say I was feeling 100% either.  My energy was low and when my eldest asked for soup for lunch, I admit, I did an internal sigh. I went to the cupboard and grabbed a couple of potatoes and an onion.. and that is when it happened.  That is when I began to channel my Italian Granny!  Seeing the potatoes and onions and thinking.. what else? What other something could I add to the soup to make it, well, soup. It was then I had a recollection from my childhood, a flash of an image, a forgotten smell, of a soup made up of the lowliest ingredients, that tasted so good, was warm and comforting and embodied everything a soup should be. My Granny's rice soup. By some twist of good fortune I had some left over rice in the fridge.  And as I searched through my memory the tantalising images came flooding back of Swiss Chard and perhaps, celery? So I set out to make it.. and as an afterthought, grabbed my camera to photog