Skip to main content

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial



 
If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!
 
Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment!
Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap on and came up with this inexpensive solution.  I knew I had some plasticised table cloth fabric kicking about and I thought, all they need is some kind of covering to keep the snow off the gloves...Mittens!
So I thought I'd share as these were so quick to make!

My first "proper" tutorial!  Please bear with me, if there are any huge mistakes or directions are unclear then please let me know!


 
 
 
First things first.  You need to make a pattern.  I did this by first drawing around my daughter's hand for the length of her outstretched fingers, and then I put the glove down to accommodate the bulk of the glove fabric.  This pattern was made using a fleece glove but for today's purposes I had to use this knitted glove as she was wearing the others!  Also make sure when you make your pattern that you make the thumb part perpendicular to the hand to allow for maximum movement.  I also added 5 or 6cm to cover the wrist so the mittens can fit snugly under the coat sleeve.
 
 
 
Here is the fabric I used.  I'm sure any plasticised tablecloth would do too, or if you're lucky enough to have some oilcloth remnants handy, that would also be perfect!
 
 
 
Now fold your fabric in half with RIGHT sides together and then half again.  Cut out around the mitten leaving a small seam allowance.  I did it this way as it was quick but by all means use up what scraps you have.
 
 

 Now turn the one pair over so you have a right and a left mitten.
 
 

Put the bottom pieces to one side and cut a length of ric-rac or ribbon to size, just below where the thumb joins the wrist part.  You don't have to do this but a little embellishment never hurts!



You don't need a special Teflon foot or anything else, just go ahead and sew the ric-rac down.  I wasn't precious about this, just guesstimated and it worked out fine.



Now put your partner pieces back together RIGHT sides together and stitch up the one side, stopping just at the start of the curve.



Open out the mitten and cut a length of elastic about the width of one of the pieces.  You could also measure round your child's wrist with the glove on but I found this way worked too.  You don't need the elastic to be very tight, just enough to keep the mitten on.



Place your elastic just above the ric-rac where the thumb and wrist join.
 


Next grab a bit of thin paper and place it between your fabric and your machine.  The plasticised fabric doesn't slide under the presser foot so you need to help it along.  I use little haberdashery paper bags  but paper the thickness of a till receipt would do.
 
 
 

Start by zigzagging in one spot a few times and then sew the elastic on by stretching it all the way across both pieces.  You may have to help pull the fabric through from the back of the machine at first and you might need to guide it a little extra but just go slowly and you'll be fine.
 
 
 

This is what your mitten will look like once you've sewn the elastic all the way across.  The paper keeps it from snapping in on itself so don't worry that it hasn't contracted.
 
 

 
Now pull the paper off.  Be careful not to break the stitching but personally I didn't mind if a little bit stayed behind, they're just for playing in the snow with, not meeting the queen in!
 
 

This is what your mitten will look like once the paper is off.

 

Now close your mitten "book" right side together and sew all around the mitten leaving a small seam allowance.  Begin where you ended off, this stops the fabric from puckering at the end point if you were to begin from the wrist.  



You're nearly finished!  Next snip the corner where the thumb and hand meet.
 
 
Snip all round the curves on the thumb and top of the hand.  Turn right side out and voila!  
 
 
 
 
You are finished!   Once you have made your pattern these mittens can be worked up so quickly.  I made a pair in the time it took the Lovely Husband to help the girls with their teeth and faces, and brush hair into ponies and get some clothes on!  I'm so pleased with the way these turned out, I think I might even make some for myself...scraping ice off the car every moring with wet gloves is a real pain in the proverbial!
 
Happy Sewing!
 

 
 
I

Comments

  1. I feel I made need to tape the seams to keep the water out. Do you think it’s possible to do this with waterproof tape on the inside. My son goes to outdoor school here in wet, rainy Vancouver Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

I Channeled My Granny!

Yesterday the girls were off sick with a cold, and I can't say I was feeling 100% either.  My energy was low and when my eldest asked for soup for lunch, I admit, I did an internal sigh. I went to the cupboard and grabbed a couple of potatoes and an onion.. and that is when it happened.  That is when I began to channel my Italian Granny!  Seeing the potatoes and onions and thinking.. what else? What other something could I add to the soup to make it, well, soup. It was then I had a recollection from my childhood, a flash of an image, a forgotten smell, of a soup made up of the lowliest ingredients, that tasted so good, was warm and comforting and embodied everything a soup should be. My Granny's rice soup. By some twist of good fortune I had some left over rice in the fridge.  And as I searched through my memory the tantalising images came flooding back of Swiss Chard and perhaps, celery? So I set out to make it.. and as an afterthought, grabbed my camera to photog