Skip to main content

I Channeled My Granny!





Yesterday the girls were off sick with a cold, and I can't say I was feeling 100% either.  My energy was low and when my eldest asked for soup for lunch, I admit, I did an internal sigh.
I went to the cupboard and grabbed a couple of potatoes and an onion.. and that is when it happened.  That is when I began to channel my Italian Granny!  Seeing the potatoes and onions and thinking.. what else? What other something could I add to the soup to make it, well, soup.
It was then I had a recollection from my childhood, a flash of an image, a forgotten smell, of a soup made up of the lowliest ingredients, that tasted so good, was warm and comforting and embodied everything a soup should be.
My Granny's rice soup.
By some twist of good fortune I had some left over rice in the fridge.  And as I searched through my memory the tantalising images came flooding back of Swiss Chard and perhaps, celery?
So I set out to make it.. and as an afterthought, grabbed my camera to photograph this humble soup and share it with you.  There is no recipe exactly, more my intuitive understanding of how the soup might have been made, so I'll list the ingredients and how I made it and I'll leave it to you to add or take away quantities as it suits you.


The Ingredients

2 to 3 large fluffy potatoes
Some leftover rice - about a big cup full
A few stalks of Swiss chard or a large handful of spinach
2 or 3 celery stalks
a large onion
a large clove of garlic
Stock of your choice - I used some beef stock.   I'm sure my Granny would have used a stock cube.
Oil/butter to sauté the onions in
Salt and Pepper
Grated Parmesan Cheese for that extra Italian flavour
a drizzle of olive oil if you wish

Method


Dice up the onions and celery, squish the garlic and sauté them in the oil/butter till softened and they have a bit of colour.
Chop up everything a uniform small size, and add to the pot.
Add the rice
Add stock (cube) and seasonings
Add roughly 1.5 to 2 L boiling water

I used a pressure cooker to cook my soup - once the soup had come up to pressure I let it cook for about 5 or 6 minutes.
You could easily bring the soup up to the boil in a regular pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are soft and begin to fall apart.  When the soup is done, use a potato masher to roughly mash the potatoes.  Don't make a puree of it, you want it to remain chunky.
Serve into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese, lashings of black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil if it takes your fancy.









A note on the rice.  I used a mix of brown, basmati, white and wild rice - I'd used up all the little bits of rice I had left over that weren't quite enough to make up a full meal.  
But you could use any rice you like really.  I suspect my Granny would have used white rice, nothing fancy.




At the first mouthful it all came flooding back, the smell, the taste.. all were spot on.
Just as if my Granny had been standing beside me in the kitchen guiding me through this recipe, something I'd not eaten in nearly 20 years!

Buon Appetito!

Comments

  1. Ah, that's lovely Laura, I could feel the warmth of your nostalgia and identify with how these old familiar recipes are interwoven through our memories and it's only at a later date that we realise just how important they were to us and how comforting they can be when rediscovered, transporting you back to another time. Lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo this sounds good and healthy, I love homemade soups, just might give it a try.....xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ursula I hope you do make it - it really is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words Catherine! You're right, perhaps we need to pay more attention and make a note of these family recipes - before it is too late!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura
    I am so glad you are back. Your entries are always colourful and warm! I love that you have a cat that will even model for you ; ) My cat Gray wont even let me hug her for more than 5 seconds! But she sleeps in my hair/head during winter, that makes up for it i guess ; ) Will definitely try the soup! Bit under the weather lately, hopefully this will give me back some "zing" I need!
    Warmest regards from Gent, Belgium, Mush = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mush and thanks for visiting my blog, I'm so pleased you like it. It has taken me a while to get going but hopefully I can carry on and post more regularly!
      I love that you have a "hair sleeper" - I used to have one too - although the claws in the head when he got to "kneading" was not that desirable!

      Delete
  6. I experience similar when making pastry - my gran was an awesome pastry maker and every time I sink my fingers into flour and butter I can almost visualise her kitchen, the smells and the textures. Precious memories, I wonder if our daughters will carry forth memories from our kitchens? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wonder that you know.. I don't often cook the same meal twice though, which doesn't really leave much room for "mom's soup" or "mom's trifle"... Must work on that actually :-)

      Delete
  7. Great quick soup Laura!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

Contemplating Embroidery

    OK, I have to admit, I got a bit carried away. I've come to realise that I can't do things in half measures, less is not more for me and I somehow can't do "simple" even if I start out thinking something will be "simple" it usually turns out not to be! I belong to a group of lovely, crafty women. We chat daily online about the stuff we are making, offer advice and encouragement.  We all have varying abilities and interests and are dispersed across Europe, from England and Scotland, to the Netherlands and Belgium.    In the beginning of 2012 we agreed to do an anonymous craft swap - the only conditions were that it would be something small and obviously hand made, and oh yes, it had to be done by Easter.    I got really excited.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make, but I started stealthily checking out my recipients Pinterest boards for clues, admiring her photos on face book to glean ideas of what she might like and what he