Skip to main content

Ice Spheres

 
 
I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them.

I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you!

All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!?

Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes...

When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I could just imagine that coloured water exploding all over me) outdoors in the snow.  You know, I'm not that used to snow, and when I get it, I like it to stay smooth and unblemished as possible.  I only clear a minimal amount from my pathway for maximum wintry enjoyment!  Anyway, I placed them along the edge of my path and was rather sad to see how they sank down till they were halfway buried.

I loved the way the balloons looked contrasting against the stark white snow.  They reminded me somehow of plastic building blocks or smarties on a cake - not the all natural colouring smarties of today, but the cram-as-many-e-numbers-as-you-can smarties of old!

 
 
I wasn't sure they would freeze, the way they were half buried and on inspection the next day my suspicions were confirmed when my first one "popped" out of it's balloon skin, and coloured water gushed everywhere.
 
 
 
Only half of it was frozen!
   
You know I'd heard/read/assimilated somehow the knowledge that snow insulates...one of those half remembered things (don't forget I grew up in Sunny South Africa!) and it was a great way to show the girls how,  even at -8 degrees C, snow will insulate and prevent ice forming. 

So beautiful it takes my breath away
 
 
 
 
After turning and leaving them another night we have perfect icy spheres...... and I have a cunning plan to secretly leave little clusters of these brightly coloured orbs on the sidewalk around my neighbourhood. 

 
 
 
What we learned from making these:

Put food colouring in the balloon first
Stretch your balloon over a tap and fill with water
Leave your balloons in an exposed area overnight for quick freezing
Snow Insulates!
Food colouring does not freeze well so wear rubber gloves when removing the balloon!
Fingers get very cold at -6 even with gloves on
Frozen balls of ice are incredibly beautiful and every one single one is different

 
 

Comments

  1. May actually get to try these this weekend! They are beautiful aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed Lesley, I'm entranced by them! Each one is completely different and magical!

      Delete
  2. Oh they are so pretty! Might just have a try at this whilst the cold snap lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried making these too. I put them in the snow and sure enoigh they burrowed down in the snow. I thinkot took a week before they were mostly frozen . will try again if our weather ever decides to stay cold

    ReplyDelete
  4. love these i so so want to do this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these, so beautiful. I don't think we'll have enough snow for long enough to try. I'll enjoy your pictures instead. Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Contemplating Embroidery

    OK, I have to admit, I got a bit carried away. I've come to realise that I can't do things in half measures, less is not more for me and I somehow can't do "simple" even if I start out thinking something will be "simple" it usually turns out not to be! I belong to a group of lovely, crafty women. We chat daily online about the stuff we are making, offer advice and encouragement.  We all have varying abilities and interests and are dispersed across Europe, from England and Scotland, to the Netherlands and Belgium.    In the beginning of 2012 we agreed to do an anonymous craft swap - the only conditions were that it would be something small and obviously hand made, and oh yes, it had to be done by Easter.    I got really excited.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make, but I started stealthily checking out my recipients Pinterest boards for clues, admiring her photos on face book to glean ideas of what she might like and what he