Skip to main content

Learning about Quilt Blocks

Lots of posts from me today... like waiting for a bus, none will come for ages and then 3 will turn up at once!

I've mentioned my online crafty group in the past, it is so good to have like minded people to bounce ideas off.  In January it was suggested we do a Quilt-a-long.  I got excited!  I've always thought that one day I may make a quilt for the girls... but never really pursued the idea.  
Apart from scrappy patchwork bags I've never done formal patchwork blocks either.

You know, I don't really "get" quilts - I'm a duvet girl and growning up in a warm climate, there wasn't much need for extra blankets and quilts to snuggle under come winter time. So although I was excited to be starting a new long term project (1 block per month) I wasn't quite sure we really did need a quilt in the house.

The first quilt block was shared and the very much needed instructions, in the form of a photo tutorial.  Do you know I found it so HARD!!! I'm not that good with numbers or geometry.. this quilt block business near fried my brain for a bit there!  But those are the joys of learning new things that are challenging.  My goodness I got the bug! I loved it! I couldn't wait for block 2 to be published...
And then begged for blocks 3, 4 and 5!!

Now I realise how tricky quilt making can be.  I didn't want to go and buy any fancy charm pack or jelly roll (all these are new terms to me), I just wanted to use up some of my stash. 
Which proved to be more difficult than I imagined because in the first place I was feeling very precious about cutting into full half metres of fabric for just a few 3"squares and secondly I didn't have enough stuff that matched or contrasted well. 
I became consumed with scouring the charity shops for fabrics, good quality sheets or pillowcases that would make up a good quilt block.  I really got fairly worked up by it all!

Last weekend was the very much anticipated bi-annual fabric market that tours the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxenboug.  I spent nearly 3 heady hours looking at fabrics and standing in ques, and I came away with a wonderful assortment of bargain fabrics which actually cost me a small fortune!

Now I'm looking at my existing quilt blocks and looking at my beautiful new fabric and wondering if they'll match up, or if I should just begin again and use the blocks I've already made for something else....

While I was at the market, I noticed a lady standing over the fabric, desperately trying to find a complimentary fabric for her neatly hand sewn, patchwork cloth.  Looking at the piece, I could tell she only needed one or two blocks of a particular shade of red to go in her colour scheme.   I thought, Yes!  I know how you feel!  I bet she's also been worrying over her quilt and wondering if she'll ever find just the right shade of red to finish it off.

Well here they are, blocks 1 - 5.  I didn't like block 3 so I made it again... I'm not loving block 4, or 5, or 2 for that matter.... Let me know what you think.  Should I begin again, or keep them as they are and chalk it all down to experience?



Block 1


Block 2


Block 3.1


Block 3.2


Block 4


Block 5


 
 
So there you have it...all the blocks I've made so far.  The finished block is supposed to be 3 across and 4 down the length, but I'm going to make it 4 x 5 blocks and that will bring it up to single duvet size. 
Well that is is for now folks.  I thought I could do 3 posts today, but I don't think I can sit here any longer without doing some permanent dammage to my back side!  'Til next time!
 
xxx

Comments

  1. As I was scrolling through the blocks I was agreeing with your thoughts about them but when I got to the picture of them all laid up, I totally changed my mind. They look great together to me, much more complimentary than they look on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Lesley! It's good to know I'm on the right track!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

Contemplating Embroidery

    OK, I have to admit, I got a bit carried away. I've come to realise that I can't do things in half measures, less is not more for me and I somehow can't do "simple" even if I start out thinking something will be "simple" it usually turns out not to be! I belong to a group of lovely, crafty women. We chat daily online about the stuff we are making, offer advice and encouragement.  We all have varying abilities and interests and are dispersed across Europe, from England and Scotland, to the Netherlands and Belgium.    In the beginning of 2012 we agreed to do an anonymous craft swap - the only conditions were that it would be something small and obviously hand made, and oh yes, it had to be done by Easter.    I got really excited.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make, but I started stealthily checking out my recipients Pinterest boards for clues, admiring her photos on face book to glean ideas of what she might like and what he