Skip to main content

A Sweet Little Beginning.

Making Jam!

Why is this Blog called "My Lucky Dip Life"?  Because I never know what surprise life has in store for me....take today for example.  I was all set to start this blog with a post on some beach bags I've recently made as gifts for school teachers (more on those later)... but I got a little distracted by making some Red Current Jam with berries I had "going to waste" in the fridge and hey presto! Something new and exciting to do in my day!  I had no intentions of making jam, but they really needed using up.   Honestly, who can eat those tart little gems without some kind of sweetening? 




Here it is, bubbling away on the stove.  Why are there no pictures of the fruit as pretty as jewels glistening in a bowl? Well,  I didn't really have any intentions of blogging about my tiny amount of jam, but it looked so lush bubbling away... I couldn't help but take a few pictures!

I got the jam idea off the excellent blog David Lebovitz.  Who could resist his wonderful pictures?




This is what little "scum" there was on the surface.  Easily scooped away when the jam had come off the boil.




So here it is, just the one tiny jar!  I love that you can make small quantities of jam.  We're not big jam eaters in this house, and I used to always think you had to make huge quantities of jam... when in reality you don't!


Pretty isn't it?  OK strictly speaking I didn't follow the "jam making rules".  I did sterilise the bottle by putting a few inches of water in and nuking it for 5 minutes (I tipped that water out afterwards of course).  I did the same to the lid but It's an old coffee bottle - not a mason jar - so probably not the best bet for storing long term, but as I'm keeping it in the fridge and it will be used up fairly soon, this isn't a problem for me.



I love the colour!  So perhaps for the final picture I should have spread some lovingly on freshly baked, crusty bread,  but I wasn't that organised!  I'm sure my two girls will enjoy this for breakfast tomorrow!

For the record:

This is a bog standard "equal quantities" jam recipe. Use this method with fruits that have a lot of natural pectin in, such as blackberries, gooseberries and slightly under ripe plums.

I used:

205g Red Currants
205g Sugar
2 Tablespoons water

  • Put a few tablespoons of water in the bottom of a saucepan. 
  • Add the berries stalks and all and cook briefly till soft.
  • Push the pulp through a sieve, making sure to get all the flesh and juice out.
  • Weigh the pulp and add the same amount of sugar to it.
  • Heat on the stove till the sugar has dissolved.
  • Bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
  • Turn off the heat and leave to cool slightly, scoop the scum carefully off the top.
  • Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
If you want to sterilise your bottles then here is a good place to learn how to do that.

Comments

  1. Looks yummy, I still have to have a go at making jam. I used to use it as lipstick when I was little and watching my gan make some.
    Gisèle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Giséle :-) It is really easy and you don't have to have a hundred bottles lined up in the pantry like granny did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely little jars of yumminess lined up on the shelf in the cellar... you never know which one you'll pull off next :) You should try rhubarb and vanilla, great way to use up a rhubarb glut though it may not be the kid's favourite; definitely a more grown up jam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Contemplating Embroidery

    OK, I have to admit, I got a bit carried away. I've come to realise that I can't do things in half measures, less is not more for me and I somehow can't do "simple" even if I start out thinking something will be "simple" it usually turns out not to be! I belong to a group of lovely, crafty women. We chat daily online about the stuff we are making, offer advice and encouragement.  We all have varying abilities and interests and are dispersed across Europe, from England and Scotland, to the Netherlands and Belgium.    In the beginning of 2012 we agreed to do an anonymous craft swap - the only conditions were that it would be something small and obviously hand made, and oh yes, it had to be done by Easter.    I got really excited.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make, but I started stealthily checking out my recipients Pinterest boards for clues, admiring her photos on face book to glean ideas of what she might like and what he

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c