Skip to main content

At Last, Something to Write Home About...



Look what I found in my veg patch!  Isn't it pretty?


After a very slow start to the season, when nothing seemed to be growing at all it seems that FINALLY things are getting underway.   Here in the Netherlands we've had an extremely cool start to the summer, days of rain and miserable, cold, grey skies.  Not surprising really that everything was so slow to get started.


This beauty is a variety of courgette called  Zucchino Romanesco.  Super.  Awesome.  Wonderful!  Probably the best tasting courgette you can grow!


We all agree that their flavour is excessively good.  Here is the validation.  My 6 year old does not usually touch courgette.  Her little nose wrinkles up sweetly in distaste and there is always an argument that she "just taste ONE bite"...
However she is a keen gardener so didn't need to be coaxed into trying "courgette from the garden" as she had "spotted it" herself on her morning reconnaissance of the veg patch.  On tasting, (and then reaching for another slice) she proclaimed that she ONLY likes "courgette from the garden!"
Result!

Homegrown veg 1
Supermarket veg 0













 If you are going to try growing courgettes in your next growing season, I'd really recommend this variety.  It gets a bit big but even in my small patch of 1.80 cm wide I manage to grow two plants side by side.  Ideally courgettes need 1m spacing each.  This year I stuck an old rose frame round the one plant and it is taking up a little less space in the bed, so clearly growing up a support is the way forward.
The fruit itself swells up to a rather large size very quickly, however I've found that it is still meaty and the seeds small even at the large size.  Always a bonus to have a bigger courgette which retains the fantastic flavour!

Soft spines cover the courgette, which can be easily rubbed off.
I love these courgettes simply sliced about a cm thick and then fried in a little olive oil.  Because of their ridges they appear as star shaped discs when sliced.  A sprinkling of sea salt or Parmesan is all it needs to finish. 
Now the reason I've not had my eye on the ball with regards to my veg patch this season, is because we have been undertaking a major renovation of our garden.   This was a major job taking up 3 weeks  and lots of very hard work, but more on that in my next post!












Comments

  1. What a beauty, mine are big but not so pretty! Garden veg always win over supermarket... that was how we cracked the tomato phobia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't agree more :-) I grew this variety last year and was blown away by the taste, this year it is more of the same. It was such a slow start I thought nothing would come of them, the plants were so puny, but I've been pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi and thank you for commenting!

Popular posts from this blog

Waterproof Mittens Tutorial

  If you're anything like me, you might find yourself unprepared when the "real" winter strikes!  Here in the Netherlands we've had a really mild winter so far, we haven't even needed scarves and hats unless we've been outdoors for a while.  As a result, I haven't bought all the kit that goes with really cold weather like we've been experiencing, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself going out and buying waterproof ski clothing for a few days of snow!  As it is the girls would much rather be indoors with a mug of hot cocoa - they must have inherited their dislike of the cold from their parents!   Now we've had snow, and quite a bit of it....it's been hanging round for days and out of the blue my 6 year old tells me she hasn't taken part in any snowball fights at school because her gloves would get wet, leading to extra cold fingers.  Oops!  Bad Mummy Moment! Finding myself in a predicament I put the ol' thinking cap

Ice Spheres

    I wish my heading sounded prettier and more magical, because these beautiful spheres made by filling balloons with water and then leaving them out to freeze certainly have a fairytale appeal about them. I've had this idea Pinned for quite a while and just needed the right conditions to try it out.  This week we've had a lovely cold snap with snow and temperatures going well below zero.  PERFECT conditions I tell you! All I had was a picture to go by... and I really had a DUH moment  when I began.  There I was with balloon in hand, ready at the tap, when it dawned on me that coloured water did not flow from the faucet and how was I going to get colour in there?!? Just shows how lazy I've become...did I give it a moment's thought?  Noooooo, off I rushed to the WWW to find out the answer, which was blindingly simple!  Add a drop of food colour to the balloon before  you fill it up!  Sigh.  Sometimes... When they were filled up I placed them carefully (I c

Contemplating Embroidery

    OK, I have to admit, I got a bit carried away. I've come to realise that I can't do things in half measures, less is not more for me and I somehow can't do "simple" even if I start out thinking something will be "simple" it usually turns out not to be! I belong to a group of lovely, crafty women. We chat daily online about the stuff we are making, offer advice and encouragement.  We all have varying abilities and interests and are dispersed across Europe, from England and Scotland, to the Netherlands and Belgium.    In the beginning of 2012 we agreed to do an anonymous craft swap - the only conditions were that it would be something small and obviously hand made, and oh yes, it had to be done by Easter.    I got really excited.  I wasn't sure what I was going to make, but I started stealthily checking out my recipients Pinterest boards for clues, admiring her photos on face book to glean ideas of what she might like and what he